• Users Online: 507
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
REVIEW ARTICLE
Year : 2020  |  Volume : 7  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 139-148

Dual therapeutic strategy targeting tumor cells and tumor microenvironment in triple-negative breast cancer


1 International Ph.D. Program in Medicine; Graduate Institute of Clinical Medicine, College of Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taipei; Department of Medical Research and Education, Taipei Medical University - Shuang Ho Hospital, New Taipei City, Taiwan
2 International Ph.D. Program in Medicine; Graduate Institute of Clinical Medicine, College of Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taipei; Department of Medical Research and Education, Taipei Medical University - Shuang Ho Hospital, New Taipei City; Department of Medical Laboratory Science and Biotechnology, Yuanpei University of Medical Technology, Hsinchu, Taiwan
3 Graduate Institute of Clinical Medicine, College of Medicine, Taipei Medical University; Division of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Tri-Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Centre, Taipei, Taiwan
4 Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine Public Health and Nursing, Universitas Gadjah Mada, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
5 Department of Histology and Cellular Biology, Faculty of Medicine Public Health and Nursing, Universitas Gadjah Mada, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
6 International Ph.D. Program in Medicine; Graduate Institute of Clinical Medicine, College of Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taipei; Department of Medical Research and Education, Taipei Medical University - Shuang Ho Hospital, New Taipei City; Division of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Tri.Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Centre, Taipei; Department of Hematology and Oncology, Taipei Medical University - Shuang Ho Hospital, New Taipei City, Taiwan

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Tsu- Yi Chao
Department of Hematology and Oncology, Taipei Medical University - Shuang Ho Hospital, No. 291, Zhongzheng Rd., Zhonghe District, New Taipei City 23561
Taiwan
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/JCRP.JCRP_13_20

Rights and Permissions

Objective: Triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) is characterized by a lack of estrogen receptors (ER), progesterone receptor (PR), and human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2/neu). Only 30% of TNBC patients show a pathologic complete response, and the other 70% of patients exhibit a less pronounced response followed by relapse and metastasis to distant organs after neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Achievements of immunotherapy targeting programmed cell death 1 ligand 1 (PD-L1) in clinical trials for treating melanoma, nonsmall-cell lung cancer, renal cell carcinoma, and TNBC suggest that targeting the interaction of tumor cells with tumor microenvironment is highly beneficial for cancer treatment. Finding a novel dual-targeting therapy against tumor cells and the tumor microenvironment (TME) may provide options for improved responses in TNBC patients. Data Sources: We searched the potential targeted therapy candidates that regulate tumor cells as well as the TME of cancer diseases, including TNBC, based on our previous and recent other publications. Study Selection: We selected the potential targeted therapies supported by relevance clinical data, in vitro and in vivo studies. Results: In this review, we found the KDM5B, Cadherin 11, β-catenin, CDK2, signal peptide CUB-EGF domain-containing protein 2, and PDL1 regulate the tumor cells and TME of TNBC cells. In addition, we also highlighted the Antrocin, Ovatodiolide, and Pterostilbene as natural small compound possess anti-cancer through the disruption of tumor cell–TME interactions. Conclusion: The new therapy approach targeting tumor cells-TME interaction may improve the response and survival rate of TNBC patients. Later, natural small compounds could provide alternative therapy options for TNBC patients.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed746    
    Printed20    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded78    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal